No Nation programmed, produced and commissioned Music and Dance for Brighton Festival from 2006-2011. We worked as part of the senior management team for the Festival and brought many acclaimed events to it. Highlights include:
Commissions and UK premieres of new work for DV8 Physical Theatre, for both Alain Platel and Koen Augustijnen. From La Ballets C de la B and for Ballet National de Marseille and Akram Khan, commissioning and production of new music for Random Dance with Plaid and Darren Johnston with Jamie Lidell
- The reformation of Afro Caribbean funk giants Cymande
- The big band series featuring Dizzy Gillespie Band, the Kocani Orkestar, Odemba OK Jazz and the Mingus Big Band
- Commissioning The Bays to produce live music for the German cult film Run Lola Run, which was subsequently taken to Sydney Festival by No-Nation.
- Commissioning ‘Still Black, Still Proud’: Directed by the JBs Horns, Pee Wee Ellis and Fred Wesley the show was a tribute to the global impact of James Brown with guests including Manu Dibango, Cheik Lo and Tony Allen
- Miriam Makeba’s last performance in the UK.
- Contemporary jazz pioneers Medeski, Martin and Wood with Brazilian superstar Airto Moreira
- Commissioning Hal Wilner’s superb all-star production of the songs of Bill Withers, including Bill himself performing on stage for the first time in 30 years.
- Numerous others including: Philip Glass Ensemble, Anouar Brahem, Antony and the Johnsons and Diamanda Galas.